Project: Removing old water injection pipes.
Installation: Snorre A, Norwegian Continental Shelf.
Scope: Dismantling water injection pipes in manageable chunks.
- Thick-walled pipes (25 mm walls).
- Work carried out in classified area where hot work is not permitted without shutting down production.
- Erecting scaffolding is complex and time-consuming on the site in question.
- Complex rigging (long pipes and numerous obstacles).
- Job completed using RAT (rope access techniques).
- Method/equipment: Pneumatic pipe cutting machines (Clamshell).
- The operators are highly skilled multidisciplinary mechanics with expertise in fields such as RAT, rigging and cold cutting.
- Cold work (cold cutting).
- Small machines mean they are safe and effective when operated at height.
- The operators are able to complete all the required tasks.
- Time-efficient cutting method.
- Good HSE factors and ergonomics.